Monday, June 21, 2010

Media Coverage: Black vs. White

As I prepare myself for work in the morning, I tune in to the Today show religiously. I find this particular news outlet to be one of the better non biased television shows. One particular subject that seems to bother me as I watch not only the Today Show, but any other news outlet, is the lack of publicity that "Minority" children receive when it comes to missing cases. Surely, not all kids that go missing are all white. I know this because more often than not I see the missing photos of African American and Hispanic children posted up on Walmart's wall, or in the weekly coupon pamphlet that get delivered in the mail. Do they think all "Minorities" do is shop at Walmart and clip coupons? Do they feel that we are not intelligent enough to watch major news programs? Do they feel that its a case of a child just running off? Or simply that "Minority" children are not important enough to be reported nationally as their white counter parts are? Whatever the case may be, it is not fair that when "Minority" children go missing they do not receive the same attention and focus that white children do. Can anyone name a time, past or present, that you have seen a black child on a national television station being reported as missing? I can only speak for myself and say that I haven't. And that's a damn shame! With so many major and national media channels out there this discrepancy shouldn't exist. Especially, when we the "Minority" have one of the most powerful woman in media, Oprah Winfrey, that has the means to get the word out. Well, I guess I can save the Oprah talk for another blog. However, to those who are reading, I hope you understand where I am coming from. I just wanted to shed some light on this. I believe ALL CHILDREN that go missing should have equal amount of coverage. Is there anything that can be done to ensure that "Minority" children receive the same amount of coverage that white families receive when it comes to their missing children?

No comments: